Monday, February 26, 2007

Playing at the Next Level

So I’ve been on a nice run lately. Out of the last 8 tournaments (including 2 online) I’ve won 3, placed 2nd once and bubbled once. My total investment was $550 and I won a total of $1830. I also won a couple of head’s up sit-n-go’s online as well.

Am I catching cards? Not really actually. I mean I’ve had a few situations where I’ve made a drawing hand or hit a set, but nothing out of the ordinary really. I don’t even think I’ve had AA or KK that many times either. What I am doing really well though is playing the player and the situation. MY cards are part of that situation, but they are just a small piece of the pie. I really feel like I’m playing at a new level. Where in the past I may have had glimpses of this, I’m much more consistent about it now. The great thing is that this hasn’t been isolated over the course of a couple of days. I’ve been playing at this level the last couple of months.
What are some examples of playing at this level?

  • I’m sensing weakness better than before. This helps me decide how to play certain cards. For example, after an early and a mid-position limper, I might also limp with a hand like KQ or AJ because “the book” says to. However, depending on stack sizes, the blind level and the tendencies of those who players who have limped, I now will mix things up and put in a sizeable pre-flop raise simply to win the pot then and there. If I get a caller, it’s okay because I’ll also have position and can make a situational decision based on the flop. BUT, I won’t do this all the time. Mixing up your game is important.
  • I’m varying my play a lot better.
  • I’m reading physical tells better. Navarro’s book is pretty damn accurate.
  • I’m staying patient during the end game.
  • I’m playing my draws strong a higher percentage of the time (either leading or check-raising). Obviously my choice of plays is dependent on the players and situation, but I’m now looking at draws as opportunities to win a hand multiple ways and not just if I hit.
  • I’m picking up the pots no one else wants.
  • I’m maximizing my winnings. Instead of value betting, I’m shoving all-in more when I think there is a chance I’ll get a call. This is HUGE in tournaments when having a big stack creates an advantage later. The other thing this is doing is making my all-in plays later in the tournament seem more believable. For example, if I re-steal pre-flop by putting someone to the test (and I use the same exact timing and mannerisms as when I had the nuts), I am way more believable.
  • I’m not playing as passively and I’m not afraid to go with my gut. A great example of this is when I was 3-handed the other night when the tournament paid top 2. I had a good chip lead and a solid, but somewhat passive player who was third in chips (about 12 bb at 14K) was in the small blind. He limped and I checked in the BB with 82os. Flop is J83 with two hearts. Pot is 2400 and he bets 2000. I have a lot of options here and raising is certainly something I could do in this situation, but he knows that. As a standard raise could put me in an awkward situation if he pushes, an all-in is also a slight over-bet and he might read me as a bully. Folding is also an option, but I decide to call to see how he plays the turn. With his chip stack, he is going to be basically telling me his strength based on how he plays. The turn is an Ace of spades and he bets 2000 again. I almost resorted back to the line of thinking that says “He bet therefore I must be beat here”, but then I stopped and asked myself, “Why 2000? What does that say about the strength of his hand?”
  1. With the Ace being a spade, it now put two flush draws on the board. If he had a strong Jack (or better), wouldn’t he bet more? Maybe, maybe he has a big hand (set, two pair, etc.), but I still think that he bets more or pushes here to protect his hand.
  2. If he does have a Jack he seems awful afraid of that Ace.
  3. If he has an 8 with a better kicker, he could be betting here to define his hand cheaply.
  4. He could also have a heart draw and is trying to control the betting.

For all these instances, I felt like I either had the best hand OR I could push him off a better hand a high enough of a % of time to make pushing all-in a +EV play. He also saw me push all-in with big hands previously, so that previous action made this a strong play. So I pushed, and he folded. THIS line of thinking is one reason why I feel I’m at a new level, BUT, the action I decided to take is the real reason. I had the guts to go with my instincts even though my first reaction was to fold.

No comments: