Monday, June 18, 2007

Major Tournament Cash Goal Met...What's Next?

I just got back from the WSOP and met one of my short-term goals for this year by cashing in Event #25. It was a $2,000 buy-in event and I placed 109th out of 1,619 people for $4,123.

While I'm very happy to have cashed in my first WSOP event, I'm looking at this as a stepping stone towards my 5 year goal of winning a bracelet. In a way, I expected this to happen. I've been playing well and have been confident about my skills. I went into this trip fully believing that I was going to do well.

Of course, in tournament play anything can happen and I'm fortunate that I was able to run well. But cashing in this event really validated that I can hang with anyone out there from a skill perspective. While I have always thought that sometime in the next 5 years I would gain enough experience and knowledge about the game of poker to win a bracelet, there was still something in the back of my mind where I wasn't 100% sure. My experience at the WSOP this year has fully solidified my belief and I have no doubt that I will do it.

So, what's next?

1. I need to buckle down and focus on building my bankroll. If my family situation affords me the ability, I would like to play in a few events next year. In order to do that, I need to have a bankroll that supports it. I still have two bankroll goals to meet. One is the $10K milestone and the other is $20K. I think my primary goal should be to hit $20K before next year's WSOP.

2. Final Table - Now that I've proven I can cash in a major event, the next step is a final table. Obviously I'll be shooting for the win, but a final table is the next logical milestone. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play in any other events (i.e. Tunica) before next year's WSOP, but if so I'll be going into each one shooting for that final table.

No comments: