Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Bracelet Still Eludes

Well, I gave it a valiant effort but came short busting out of the $1,500 WSOP event #38. I started out great chipping up from 4,500 to about 11,000 in the first two blinds levels. I took some hits during the next two levels running my pocket pairs into boards of A9x and K9x, only to c-bet and fold to a raise...both times they showed a set of 9s. I then raise AJ and one of the same guys calls me and checks back a flop of QJTx, the turn is a blank, I bet and he calls. River is a scary card and we both check..he has KQ. Next thing you know I'm back to like 7,000 and go pretty card dead.

I guess looking back, maybe I could have changed gears and gotten super aggro with trash cards but these are hour long blind levels and the beginning has no antes. I also had a very good and aggressive Costa Rican to my left so I didn't feel this strategy made a lot of sense. Unfortunately I pretty much stalled the rest of the day but was able to hover between 15-20bb. Blinds went up and I finally was at 10bb when a player opened under the gun. He was somewhat active and he's someone that has had some TV success. I know his utg range is somewhat narrow but you could tell he was starting to get frustrated being card dead as well. I look down at 99 and decide that while he certainly can have TT+, he can also have AJ, AQ, AK, 77, 88. He may also open KQs and I would think he might mix in some suited connectors every once in a while. So I shove and of course he has AA. GG me. Busted about 400 out of 2190.

So that sucked. I was certainly disappointed, but I don't regret the decisions I made. I adjusted to each table and my chip stack. Tournament poker has crazy variance and I sometimes wonder why I like it better than cash games...but I do. And winning a bracelet is still a goal of mine and something I plan on achieving. I'm going to finish out my trip with a Venetian Deep Stacked event that will hopefully make me push back my flight one day. I'm just as motivated as ever to keep improving and taking down some big tournaments.

No comments: