Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Good first cash session

Tonight was a good first session. Not necessarily in terms of winnings (although I was up $120.30 playing .50/$1), but more in terms of how comfortable I was playing. I actually started the session pretty card dead and wasn't getting to involved in many pots. I wanted to, but the situations just weren't there. I started with 2 tables and after about 30 min I added a third. I won a few small pots, had to fold a few hands I didn't want to and got looked up on a couple of bluffs. BUT the success was in just staying focused on flowing on to the next hand. I didn't wallow or start getting frustrated because things weren't going great. I'm in this for the long haul and I took a very business like approach to the session.

One cool thing about multi-tabling cash games is that its easier to get over tough hands. Stuff happens, but then you are forced to just keep playing new situations and eventually forget about what happened. You just kind of keep playing and then let the dust settle at the end of the night to see if you've made any money. Some stacks at some tables are up and some are even and you have no idea how much you've lost at those tables. This will help me break the habit of getting attached to stack sizes and being upset if my stack goes down.

Another good lesson that I re-inforced to myself was when contemplating between two plays, go with the one with your strongest & initial gut feel (i.e. I probably should X because his range is strong, but he could also have this range, so maybe I should Y.) Without going into the hand too much, a tight player that I had no info on check/called a ragged flop after raising pre. He checked the turn and i felt I should check behind with TT for pot control, but then I changed my mind because I thought he could also have pairs that were smaller than mine. I bet and then he raised and I ended up folding because his line was super strong for a tight player.

I also decided to use the Full Tilt colors for tagging players:

Green = loose/passive/stationy fish
Purple = spewy aggro
Light Blue = tight nit
Orange = regular player
Red = really good aggro
Yellow = decent aggressive

Versus my goals, I felt I did well for my first night:

Hours Played: 3
Hands: 631
bb/100: I'm not even close to being able to report on a big enough sample size

No comments: