Saturday, May 15, 2010

Best Session Yet

I just played my best session of cash games ever. I was up, but that is irrelevant. I plugged a ton of leaks in this session that I plan to make habitual. I made the right plays at the right time vs. the right players. I think that last part was a big piece of why I was barely up after 25,000 hands. I was making good plays and good decisions, but just not against the right players. Today, I did my PTR homework on almost everyone at the table and did a better job observing the players (vs. tinkering around with my table scanner to find better tables).

Leaks I've improved today:

- I didn't speculate out of position unless I had great implied odds vs. certain players and I knew how they would play post flop
- When playing multiple tables, I used to act too quickly and would forget to make a play based on that specific players tendencies and hand ranges (I would default back to my hand)
- I didn't force plays from out of position. I would make a play vs. the appropriate players if it made sense instead of against the regs.
- I didn't make moves against players I have no reads on - no need to force, just let it go until you have a read on their range/tendencies
- I focused my 3betting from position and vs. the right opponents
- I played during the day for less than 2 hours (in other words I was fresh and could make clear decisions)
- I wasn't afraid of big pots, but I controlled the pot when it made sense
- I talked through specific hand ranges before making a logical, fear free, emotion free decision (both not afraid to make the play, but also not afraid to make the fold)---***this was a big one***

From a stats standpoint, I'll dig through HEM later for more details, but it looks like my 3bet % is up compared to my last 10 or so sessions (5.8) and my aggression factor is up a notch (3.38). My VPIP and PFR are actually a little lower than normal, but I did go through a pretty dry patch towards the end of the session.

Overall I'm really happy. I may have missed a couple of spots (i.e. one river value bet and one time 3betting someone without a read), but I'm not going to be a crazy perfectionist and get down on myself about it. I will strive to continue to improve those spots though.

No comments: