Monday, May 10, 2010

Cash games vs. tournaments - quick update

I am learning a TON by playing cash games. By playing deep stacked and multiple tables, it truly reveals the strengths and weaknesses in your game. When you have no choice but to go on autopilot, you make decisions without the benefit of having time to fully analyze your decisions. If you are playing your A game and are in the zone or are presented with standard situations that you have seen hundreds or thousands of times before, these decisions are easy. However, if you aren't in the zone and are faced with situations you may not have encountered as much OR things haven't quite been going your way, your B or C game starts to reveal itself. According to Jared Tendler, your C game is the complete autopilot game that doesn't really require much conscious thought.

So what I am finding is that when I'm not playing my A game, because I am playing so many hands by multitabling cash games it makes is easier for me to discover holes in my game that I didn't realize were there before. By using Hold'em Manager I am able to analyze these leaks and make improvements. Okay, so yeah, duh. Analyzing my game makes me better...of course. But I am seeing so many more flops than I ever did playing tournaments. This means that I'm able to make more poker decisions during a hand and a session than I did before. I'm getting better at reading and narrowing down hand ranges because it's not as simple as a quick pre-flop equity decision. All of these post-flop decisions reps that I'm getting in are really starting to improve my early tournament play. I haven't played many tournaments lately, but the ones I have played I've done well in and have been able to play a lot deeper because I'm not in push/fold mode so early.

So the WSOP is coming up and I'm getting backed for the main event. I'm pretty excited and ready to play some great poker. I am trying to play more live tournaments in Atlanta so I keep those skills sharp and I will be playing more deeper stacked online tournaments in the coming months to prepare for the structure of the main event. I'll still play cash, but I'll be tapering back how many tables I play in order to train myself to make fully thought out decisions instead of "insta" ones.

Anyway, gonna put in some cash hands tonight. It's actually been a full week since my last session. I've been playing well lately and I discovered a few leaks recently that I plan on plugging up tonight.

No comments: