Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Perspective; Training Mental Skills

So I've had a couple of days to marinate on how to improve my leak of chasing losses during a session. I believe that this is a skill that must be drilled like any other skill in order to make it automatic. I also think that tilt control is the same thing. I used to have tilt control in tournaments, but multi-tabling cash games introduced a new dynamic and it also is a skill I must re-apply consistently. Knowing how to apply these skills and practicing the skill so that it is second nature are two different things.

So, in order to progress forward and develop these skills I will be doing the following:

1. Training myself and drilling reps making disciplined decisions outside of poker on a daily basis. Self-discipline is a mental skill that can be applied to all areas of life and I will be starting with simple things on a daily basis. So far I'm starting with not texting while driving, doing dishes when they have piled up, not adding sugar to my coffee and getting out of bed when I wake up (instead of snoozing)

2. I am only going to look at how many hands I've played (and not wins or losses) and will stop my session whether or not it is shaded green or red. Of course there will be two exceptions:

a. If the session is going exceptionally well, I will keep playing (and still not look at the results).
b. If the session is going exceptionally bad (not just running bad but if I am also not playing optimally), I will check and see how close I am to my stop loss of 3 buy-ins.

Once I improve my discipline, I will also add in a third exception:

3. If I'm playing great and there are huge fish at the tables, yet I'm shaded red. In this case, I will make sure I'm not near my stop loss. If I am, I will leave the session. If I'm not, I will continue to play BUT I will stay focused on playing optimum poker and NOT trying to get back to green. I will also not force plays against the fish in order to stack them. I will just keep playing good poker.

So basically I am putting mechanisms in place that will enable me to focus on just playing poker and not being results focused. This, along with training my own self-discipline is going to be a major positive direction in my game.

No comments: