Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Daily Recap 10/13/09

I haven't played in a few days it seems. I finally got over being sick and I've been crazy busy and have been pretty tired lately. I didn't want to play when I wasn't able to focus. Today it was still hectic at work, but I was able to get a major project done and felt the relief of the big part being over. I was able to get the kids to bed and start playing around 8pm, so it was nice to start early.

I started the night misplaying QQ pretty badly in the Stars nightly $27.50. I'll review it tomorrow, but the jist is that I went broke with a set that had both a flush and 4 card straight showing. I could have easily check/folded or even check/called the river, but I decided to bet/call the guys shove trying to convince myself he had AK for 2pr. But that is what I WANTED him to have, not what my read was. So...I'm in 2 tournaments right now and I've started playing much better. Although I do have to admit that I'm not 100% clear headed for some reason. I'm gonna relax a bit and find a focus.

---

Got 3 tables going and one is a final table of a $48/90 man. I'm sitting around average at 32K at the 1200/2400 level. I was down to nothing earlier and trippled up, then I chipped up really nice on the bubble only to have a couple of hands go bad and I lost some chips. But I'm happy with the way I played the bubble. We're down to 8 in this one, so I'm going to just pick my spots and go for the win using my reads. Need to pick up some chips in the nightly $35K. Gotta find some re-steal spots.

---
So I take the chip lead and have over 100K going into 5 handed play. I played every hand pretty much perfectly and got crushed when a SS woke up with AK vs. my AT 4 handed, then my AK lost a huge race to 77, then I have 30k left at 3000/6000 and shove 97s...same 77 guy wakes up with AQ...gg me in 4th place. Definitely gonna look at that HH to see if tomorrow I still like the way I played. I feel like all the spots were standard, but it being a turbo I just hit a downswing at the wrong time. I do wonder if I should have shoved the 97s though. I had been super active already and there was another short stack. Don't get me wrong, I am playing for the win. But I wonder if the jump from 4th to 3rd is enough to consider ICM.

---
btw...really happy with my reads when calling all ins with semi-marginal hands like KQ or suited middle Ace. They are solely player based reads and not an attachment to my hand. I used to be afraid of making calls like that, but when there is a super aggressive player on your right, those hands go way up in value because you are so ahead of their range.

---
I just took 2nd in a crazy up and down $48/90 man where I lost a massive pot and was down to being forced all in by the blinds 3 handed. I ended up doubling up a few times and then took the chip lead going into head's up play. Then I called a min raise, hit top pair, check-raised strong and he shoved. I was forced to call and he showed BOTTOM PAIR...and hit a 3 outer for 2pr on the river. That river was worth about $400, so that kinda sucked. I still had some chips left, but not many...about 6bb. Overall I felt my short-handed push-bot play was good and just got unfortunate head's up. I got lucky a few times and then got unlucky as well. That was definitely a wild tournament so I'm happy to have 2 final table and deep cashes tonight, but first would have definitely been sweet. Just gonna keep grinding and try to play some during the day tomorrow.

No comments: