Saturday, December 16, 2006

Observing People, Not Just Their Play

When everyone took their seats last night, I noticed that the gentleman to my right was wearing a visor. Underneath the visor it was apparent that he had went through some sort of hair plug or hair growth treatment. He was probably in his early-to-mid 40s.

What does this say about him as a person?
Loosing his hair at a relatively early age is probably hard for most men to deal with. But the fact that he has done something about it means that he is concerned with his image and how others see him. He probably wears the visor because the treatment isn't finished yet and doesn't want to look awkward.

What could this mean about the way he plays?
Since he is concerned with his image, he will likely not want to get into situations where the table sees him make a bad play. He'd be embarrassed. So in the back of my mind, I felt if a situation arose, I could put him to the test and make him laydown. At the same time, I knew this would only work a few times because he would not want to look like he was getting pushed around. Obviously I was going to pay attention to his play and table talk to see if my observation was valid. It was.

This worked out beautifully for me. Right after the first break it folded to him in the small blind. He raised 2.5x and I re-raised with a marginal hand, putting him in a push or fold situation. He mucked (again, not wanting to look bad). I took down a few more pots he was involved with and I could tell he was starting to play with ego and felt like I was getting out of line. After a few rotations, an early player limped and he raised 3x. I picked up AA. I thought about shoving, but instead put in a raise which would cause him to push over the top of me. As planned, he pushed with AJ. GG sir.


I like this concept of this post. I'll try and find more examples like this.

No comments: