Thursday, April 1, 2010

Understanding My Stats

I finally started really trying to understand the stats that are compiled by Hold'em Manager. I had some hunches, but it is really eye opening. I only have about 4,000 hands in there (I would have more but my computer recently crashed and I lost some data), but it's enough to start noticing tendencies that I can work on.

I am basing this on some articles written in the HEM program that are based on a study of 5,000 different players and how their stats in certain situations relate to their overall win rate at bb/100 hands.

Without going through every stat, these are the ones that I need to work on:

Turn Cbet% - As a former nit, you would think my % would be too low, but it's actually too high. This is one of the few stats where if you are too aggressive, it will cost you money. The highest win rate is with a turn bet % of between 40.8 - 45.3%. At 51.6% and above it's actually a negative win rate. My rate is 51.1. I think what is happening is that I'm getting slow played a lot and I'm just blind betting the turn hoping to get a fold instead of really looking at board texture and player tendencies.

Fold to Flop Cbet%
- When I'm in a hand, I like to be in control. If I wasn't the pre-flop raiser I'm often not giving a lot of resistance in the hand. Now that I'm seeing this stat, I realize that I'm not raising c-bets or floating enough. The ideal rate is 56.8 - 61.7%. Once you are folding more than 61.7% it's a steep drop in win rate. But it also drops when you are pushing back too much (folding less than 56.7%). I've been folding 63.1% of the time. So basically, I need to pick a few more spots to raise c-bets on boards where it was unlikely to hit my opponent or if they fear that it hit me.

Position - HEM lets you see what your stats are based on %. As a quick summary of ways it looks like I can improve, I need to find ways to lose less in the small & big blinds. I'm not exactly sure why I'm losing as much as I am, but I suspect it is in big pots where I've 3bet light and double & triple barrel too often. What's crazy though is that I'm running 98.94bb/100 hands on the button and 1.14/100 hands in the cut-off. I'll have to find out why I'm not winning as much in the cut-off.

Another thing that is interesting is that my VPIP and PFR stats in early position are really low. To me that means that I am not stealing from early position enough and it probably explains why when I do get big hands in early position that I'm not getting much action. It doesn't mean I need to go crazy, but I definitely need to open up a bit. I could bump it up from middle position as well. Upping both of these stats will also increase my overall VPIP/PFR stats to be a little more on the aggressive side and should increase my win rate.

No comments: